The first human foot on the moon was an amazing moment for hundreds of millions of people to watch, be surprised and excited together. The fascinating round that we have been dealing with for millions of years is finally for humans. an achievable goal has happened.
Data from the first manned lunar missions and research on the moon over the years has allowed us to get to know our satellite up close and want more. After 50 years passed, The moon has once again become a target for humans to set foot on.. But this time, everything is different, from the technology that will take humanity to the moon to the mission’s objectives.
Humanity is going to the moon this time with NASA’s Artemis mission. The mission’s first and unmanned launch was delayed first for technical reasons and then due to extreme weather conditions and storms. If the last specified date is a day between November 12-27. With the weeks leading up to this great mission, let’s take a look at the differences from the past.
What are the differences between the Apollo and Artemis missions?
After Apollo, it’s Artemis’ turn: there are radical changes in the crew that will set foot on the moon
- Landing on the Moon with the Apollo Missions Only one in 12 people was a scientist. The rest of the team had a military background. There are plenty of scientists in the pool where NASA will choose astronauts for Artemis.
- Apollo missions to the moon the whole team consisted of ‘white men’. With the Artemis mission, NASA wants to bring women and ‘non-white’ people to the moon. NASA also says it’s likely that most or all of the crew will be women, rather than “just one woman.”
- With reference to the above article; The reason why the name of the mission was chosen as Artemis actually this is it. Apollo is one of the sons of Zeus in Greek mythology. Her twin sister is the goddess Artemis.
The technology and engineering behind the missions has also evolved and changed a lot.
- The Apollo Command Module was the module the crew traveled to, and a crew of 3 maximum 14 days he could stay. While two of these 3 people landed on the moon with the lunar module, one person remained in the command module and waited for the crew’s return to the moon. Orion 4 astronaut on the Artemis mission With equipment capable of hosting for 21 days and developed in size. The transport of astronauts to the moon will be done with the Human Landing System in Artemis.
- During the Apollo mission, astronauts saw the Saturn IB first, and then for many years afterwards.the world’s most powerful rocketPowered by Saturn V titled ‘, they headed for the moon. When Artemis is on duty the world’s new most powerful rocket SLS will be used. The thrust of the SLS is 15% more than that of the Saturn V.
The regions targeted by Apollo and Artemis for their destination are opposite each other.
- During the Apollo missions, our knowledge of the moon was more limited. Therefore safest possible areas selected to land. The Artemis mission goes to the “more mysterious” South Pole of the Moon. Because this region Sources of water ice on the moon thought to contain.
Apollo and Artemis’ plans for the moon are also very different…
- Mankind’s goal with Apollo first to go the lunar orbit, Then it was the first time I set foot ashore. At the same time, another important part of the mission was to research our satellite with samples to be collected from the moon.
- In Artemis, the main target will be fixed on the lunar surface and orbit. bases and stations to deepen research and prepare for our journeys to Mars and then to deep space. For this, a base is being built on the moon and the astronauts staying there can continue their research.
- Many years after the Apollo missionsThere is not much left to discover on the moonSuch discourses were dominant and it was launched as if the main purpose of the moon was to be able to rise above it. Because at that moment Moon missions were seen as “political” assets rather than scientific studies.. The Artemis mission, on the other hand, acts from a much more scientific point of view, with the idea that the moon could be an important station for the future of the human species.
NASA’s Artemis mission isn’t humanity’s only project on the moon. Especially many countries Access to Ice and Water Resources on the Moon It conducts several studies to take advantage of our satellite as a station in space studies.
For example in China in the coming years An extensive research station on the moon ready to install. Even from the US on this matter’China will try to take over the moonThere were even absurd statements like ‘.
After all these studies, the Moon in the future research on and in orbit around the earthWe will see it as a stopover on the way to other planets. But we still have a long way to go before…
Source: Web Tekno